Click here to download the report on the hearing(PDF format).
Click here to access the programme of the hearing.
Click here to view a short summary video of the hearing.
International parliamentary hearing
at the Alila Ubud Hotel, Ubud, Bali 17-18 December 2007
In December 2007 Members of Parliament from Asia and beyond gathered together in Ubud, Indonesia, to discuss democracy and the internet. Six experts, from Singapore, Botswana, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Egypt and the US, presented their ideas for legislative action to the MPs.
After wide-ranging discussions, the MPs then developed an action plan for an international campaign titled e-Freedom, for which the e-Parliament is currently seeking funding. Legislators, activists and experts agreed that there was something new that parliamentarians have a new and important role to play in defending freedom of speech on the Internet, and to supporting individuals and organisations who are putting their freedom on the line by expressing themselves online. In two days of creative discussions, the e-Freedom campaign was born. The campaign plans to prepare an online appeal calling for everyone to have the right to express their political opinions freely online, and calling for the release of all political bloggers and Internet writers who are currently in prison. The Appeal will mention all the prisoners we know of by name, and will be regularly updated as new information comes in.
Dr Indrajit Bannerjee and Representative Ida Ayu Agung Mas (Indonesia)
- Senator Lyn Allison, Australia: Leader of Australian Democratic Party
- Dr. Kwame Ampofo MP, Ghana: Member of the e-Parliament Council
- Ida Ayu Agung Mas, Indonesia: Member of the Regional Representatives Council for Bali
- Mark Blumsky MP, New Zealand: Former Mayor of Wellington, Associate Spokesman for Local Government
- Rep. Teddy Casiño, Philippines: author of a recent bill on Free/Open Source Software (FOSS)
- Dr. Min-Jen Chen MP, Taiwan: Member of the Legislative Yuan
- So-Yuk Choy MP, Hong Kong: Member of the Legislative Council for Hong Kong Island
- Nyimas Ena MP, Indonesia: Member of the Representative Regional Council for Jambi province
- Eka Komariah MP, Indonesia: MemberChair of the Budget and Finance Committee, Regional Representatives Council.
- Suresh Prabhu MP, India: Member of the Lok Sabha. Former Minister of Environment and Forests
- Ross Robertson MP, New Zealand: Member, Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Committee
- J.D.Seelam MP, India: Current First Vice-President, IPU Peace and International Security Committee, Asia Pacific Group
- Nyoman Rudana MP, Indonesia: Member, Regional Representatives Council for Bali
- Masaharu Nakagawa MP, Japan: Senior Director, Committee on Financial Affairs.
- Katrina Shanks MP, New Zealand: Member, House of Representatives
- Rep. Lorenzo Tañada, Philippines: one of the principal authors of the Philippines’ renewable energy bill
- Chiu-Chin Tien, Taiwan: Member of the Legislative Yuan, involved in democracy and environmental protection movements for over 30 years
- Dr. Indrajit Banerjee: Asia Media and Information Centre, Singapore
- Dr. Chang Chung Young: Professor, Graduate School of Political Science, Taiwan
- Dr. M. Steven Fish: Professor of Political Science, University of California, Berkeley and author of the Legislative Powers Survey.
- Gamal Eid: Director, Arab Network for Human Rights Information
- Cyd Ho: Chair, Hong Kong Human Rights Monitor, broadcaster and former member of the Legislative Council
- Keboitse Machangana: advisor on Democracy Analysis and Assessment, Planning and External Relations, International IDEA
- Nicholas Dunlop, Secretary-General, e-Parliament
- Hilary Francis, Programme Officer, e-Parliament
- Sally Garden, Programme Officer, e-Parliament
- Jesper Grolin, Executive Director, e-Parliament
Participants listen to an expert’s presentation